Monday, December 17, 2012

Gratitude Day 25

As I make more conscious intention to spend time in gratitude, I am noticing it is flowing more and more.  I naturally feel lots of gratitude in my life but I am now feeling it even more.  Today I was overcome with gratitude when I filled my car with gas.  It made me realize there are so many things that I take for granted, so many things that can feel like abundance and blessings if only they are recognized.

After the super exciting filling of my gas tank, I met up with my friend, Leita.  She had an unexpected gift for me.  As I've mentioned, I have a thing for the murmuration of birds.  Some time recently I started trying to find an image - but I liked the idea of it including the word and that's not something I was finding much of.  I didn't tell anyone that I wanted this but today Leita presented me with this:



She knew I liked murmuration and it just came to her to make this for me.  So she did.  And she gave it to me, without me ever even voicing that I wanted such a thing.  I love when stuff like that happens.  So fun.  (Leita does lots of beautiful calligraphy projects - check out her store: Twinkle Calligraphy.)


Today I also attended and observed a meeting of the Midwifery Scope of Practice Advisory Committee, which is working with the AZ Department of Health Services to revise midwifery laws and regulations in this state.  What I am most grateful for about the experience is that an estimated 200 (or more) people showed up to support this effort and to support home birth midwives.  That many people managed to come to some boring government meeting in the middle of the day - many of them toting kids around - just to be a presence that sends a message of support.

And the message was received.  Apparently, not many issues get much attendance.  This one not only filled the room where the meeting was but it also filled an overflow room.  They kept having to bring in more chairs.

The public comment portion of the meeting was pretty short and not many people spoke.  But our presence said a lot.  And just the fact that people do care and do show up is inspiring to me.

No comments: