Saturday, April 7, 2012

Treats

Satvinder has been asking me for days."Do you have the eggs ready yet?" and "You know you have to put stuff in them right?" She seems concerned that I might not remember - even though I have actually managed to remember every year of her life.  Rest assured, I've got eggs (or at least egg shaped felt pouches) and they have stuff in them.  And we kind of invited ourselves over to our neighbor's house for afternoon swimming - so we'll even have something to do once the kids are all sugared up.

Holidays always make me wish we had family closer.  I wish that plenty of other times too - but I really attach holidays to family time.  No matter if I tell myself otherwise, I have the belief that holidays are supposed to be with family and involve a meal together.  We've been in Arizona for over seven years now and most of our holidays have not been with family (beyond the 4 of us) or fit the image I have in my head.  I am trying to broaden my beliefs around it and be more open to creating our own traditions.  I am trying, in general, to open myself to connecting with more people in life and to expand the concept of family to include community and friends to fit that need for relationship.

Being an introvert, that's a challenge.  I often think I need to have some excuse to reach out to people and it takes a lot of stretching to try to form a new relationship.  This is one of the ways I am choosing to push beyond my comfort zone.

No comments: