Saturday, April 21, 2012

Phoenix is a hot place

It hit 100 degrees here today.  It has brought home the reality that Phoenix summer is approaching.  It already feels too hot to do anything and it is not even actually hot yet.  Not by Phoenix standards anyway.

It has led me to wonder how no one has come up with a sustainable "kiddie pool" option.  I really dislike the plastic and waste of the typical kiddie pools and we've never had one last past one summer.  In searching for some other option the only thing I found was this: a dumpster converted into a small pool.  A very creative idea - I like that people are thinking up stuff like that.  But what about something more accessible? If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear.

Mostly, though, I just want to run away to the beach.  I know, these are such first world problems: "oh whine, it is too hot for me to sit here in my air conditioned house."  It sounds a little bit ridiculous.  But it is part of my current reality: what to do with bored, restless children (and self) when it is too hot to go outside?  It is something that in seven years of living in Phoenix, I have not quite ever figured out.  The heat becomes oppressive, overwhelming, and...miserable.

Some people just adapt and keep going.  I know people who hike and play outside when it is 120 degrees.  On the other hand, I know several people who become very depressed and can't do much at all.  I suppose it is the same in locations that have intense, house-bound winters.

Yeah, I guess that's all I've got today: just some ramblings about the heat.

No comments: