As someone who is still moving through the annihilation part but is enough past the initial intensity, I can see how sweet and loving that destruction really is. It may not be gentle but it is kind, in the truest sense – it takes you where you need to go, where you would not go unless a force beyond you insisted upon it. I am so incredibly grateful for the humbling and powerful force that is creation.
This is the telling of destruction and creation as Sukhjot emerged into our world:
Labor began its gentle hints on the morning of December 1, 2009. Since I'd had contractions off and on for weeks, I just observed with the attitude of “oh maybe...we'll wait and see.” I'd felt crampy and a little bit weird all through the night and didn't want to leave the house. I didn't feel very good and asked Mangala Sadhu Sangeet to take Satvinder to school so I could stay home.
I set about the day, enjoying the fact that contractions were not stopping, as they had on other days. I cleaned, I sang, I enjoyed puttering around the house and answering emails – little things to distract me from getting too excited. Mangala Sadhu Sangeet had been up all night so he was sleeping through the day. It was just me and the early, growing sensations of impending birth. I loved it.
In the afternoon, I read about the full moon that was going to be early the next morning. I felt like that moon was calling the baby, awakening some process within me. I read the following forecast from Power Path and I knew, without a doubt, that labor was beginning and the baby would come on the full moon:
December 2: Full Moon at 12:30 AM Mountain Standard Time. There are all kinds of support for movement and action and its all systems go. Look at what is being activated right at this time. Pay attention to what is in your face and right in front of you. Decide with certainty about what it is that you really want. This moon will fill that desire and activate it so be careful what you ask for.
Having that realization, I began to cry and laugh and tell the baby “I'm so happy that you are coming!” The contractions became more noticeable and I started to time them. I emailed my friends, Nirmal, who would be attending as my doula (labor support) and Emily, who would be coming to help take care of Satvinder, to let them know I'd probably be calling them to the birth later. I baked cookies for those who would attend and was delighted by the idea that this time I wouldn't have to eat the cookies myself. (On previous days, I'd baked cookies just in case and then when contractions stopped, I'd eaten most of them myself!)
I mopped the floors, stopping for contractions and circling my hips. They were getting stronger and I was loving it. I was so happy to be starting labor. When it was time to pick up Satvinder from school, Mangala Sadhu Sangeet got up and I told him I thought we'd be having a baby by the next day. As he picked up Satvinder, things continued to increase and when he got home, he timed contractions for me. They were 4-5 minutes apart.
We called Nirmal and she arrived with dinner and gelato and disposable cameras for Satvinder to take her own pictures. By then, I was on my hands and knees, again circling my hips with contractions and I was starting to make moaning sounds. My back was beginning to really ache. We called for Pam, our Midwife, and Apprentice Midwives, Cheyanne and Selena. I was still smiling.
At one point, in between contractions, Satvinder brought over a “mood decoder” - a little dial she'd made that turns to show various moods. She said, “I picked bored because it doesn't have awkward.”
Nirmal and Mangala Sadhu Sangeet took turns pressing on my back during contractions. It really helped to have that counter pressure. We moved into the dining room, where the birth tub was set up. I began leaning over a chair when the contractions came and was getting louder with my moans. After a particularly stronger contraction, I heard Satvinder laughing and looked behind me to see Mangala Sadhu Sangeet wearing an elephant nose as he pressed on my back. As the intensity was building, I was so grateful to have laughter.
Soon I also had tears. Contractions flowed through my body and emotion roared through as well. I felt like I was stepping over a threshold into something really heavy. I was happy, I was overwhelmed, I was intimidated. Satvinder and Emily were sitting at the table, doing crafts. I felt the need to explain my tears to Satvinder, “I'm not sad. I'm just crying because it is intense. I'm happy. I'm really happy.” I think that was the last time during labor that I had the ability to explain anything to anyone.
When Pam arrived, she checked my dilation. One of things I knew (and liked) about Pam was that she doesn't tell how many centimeters a woman is dilated. She shows with her hands, making a circle, “You are this open.” Of course, I still tried to guess what number I was at. I felt the need to be conservative – I guessed I was 2 or 3 cm. (I was actually 4.) In any case, I was just glad I was dilating.
I labored for a bit in the bedroom (leaning over the bed) and bathroom (hanging from the towel rack!) and eventually, things had gotten more challenging and I was glad to get into the birth tub for relief. It felt great and I was immediately thankful that we'd made the decision to get the big one. I really tested the strength of that tub. My body moved through yoga positions- squatting and lunging and circling – not something I was necessarily intending to do or even trying to do. It was just how my body moved with the sensations. I began to get very hot. I was now far, far away from planet Earth and it was hard.
I got out for a while and sat on the floor in full nakedness. I had long since lost any cares of modesty. I labored on the floor in butterfly pose and began to feel more pressure. When the water had cooled off a bit, I got back in the tub for more moaning and swaying. I began to do little grunting pushes even though I was not fully dilated. It felt good to push a bit and it made me feel like I was making progress. Pam checked my dilation for the second, and last, time and said I was not dilated all the way but I was making progress and it wasn't hurting my cervix for me to do the little pushes. I was glad I could keep doing the pushes but I was very depressed that I wasn't fully dilated. I imagined I was probably just at 5 cm. (I was actually at 7 cm, I found out later.)
By this time, we were late into the night and there wasn't much that anyone could do to help me ease the intensity. I was so tired and I didn't know how I could continue to endure the contractions. I just wanted it to end. I was so mad that no one could help me. I looked at a sign I'd made that said “I will do what needs to be done” and I hated that sign. I hated that I had to do what needed to be done. The more I hated it, the worse the contractions hurt. I considered begging to be taken to the hospital for an epidural. However, I never verbalized that as I knew deep inside myself that wasn't really what I wanted. I knew my truth was that I had to go through it, I had to feel it, I had to find a way to surrender to what was before me.
Pam suggested that I get out of the tub and go take a shower, for a change of scenery. I didn't want to move or go anywhere but I trusted her advice and I knew I had to do something. Mangala Sadhu Sangeet went with me to the shower and helped me get in. Someone gave me a homeopathic remedy. I was taken immediately to my knees by a very intense contraction. I screamed out and writhed. I didn't know what to do. Mangala Sadhu Sangeet gave me some encouraging words and I was glad he was with me, grateful to not be totally alone. I began to pray. “Please, God, get me through this. You have to get me through this because I don't know how I can do this anymore.” I felt such huge despair and I knew my only hope was to trust that God would get me through it.
I stood up and got back to the birth tub as fast as I could before another contraction could hit. I had decided that I would stay in that tub until labor was done. I had this attitude of “I'm not getting out of this tub until there is a baby in my arms.” I felt resolution and resignation, both the understanding that I must give myself over the process and also the acceptance that there simply was no escaping it.
Once in the tub, I began to rotate my body in huge circles. I held the sides of the tub and moved as if drawing a circle around the perimeter of the tub with my sit bones. With each circling contraction came more noises – moans and groans and roars. Sometimes I felt like a lioness as these incredible sounds came out of me.
I was unaware that my hair had come down out of its bun and since it is thick and very long, I was dripping lots of water onto the floor. Nirmal and Mangala Sadhu Sangeet took turns attending to my hair – holding it while I circled, wringing it out into a bucket after contractions. I never even knew that was going on until they told me about it later. Apparently, if I ever birth again, I need to schedule a full time hair attendant.
Hope awoke in me when Nirmal scooped some bloody goop out of the tub and announced, “Here's your mucus plug!” That was a tangible sign of progress to me. I've never been so very pleased to see blood and mucus!
Soon I felt pressure come with a contraction and then Pop! I felt (and heard) its release. “What was that popping sound?” I asked, even though I knew what it was. It was, indeed, my water breaking. This was another encouraging sign!
Even as contractions continued and I was still circling and moaning, a stillness came. I rode a fine line between the most intense pain and the most intense comfort. Comfort isn't exactly the word but I'm not sure what is – when I truly surrendered and moved into the sensation, it was very rewarding and kind. But so close – right on the other side of that was the insane, mind-bending pain. The contractions began to take on personalities. I developed a relationship with the labor. I could recognize the wave of the contractions, know when it was peaking and stay just enough ahead that I wasn't drowning.
Then...I felt it. Something HUGE was descending. I reached inside and met it with my fingertips. “I feel the head,” I said. Pam asked me how far inside me it was and I showed her on my fingers. Everyone gathered closer in around me. Satvinder, who was sleeping in the other room, was awoken and brought in (though she was very grumpy and groggy.) Contractions demanded that I push.
I could not even comprehend how I could be feeling what I was feeling. It seemed like my lower body was going to turn inside out. “WHOA,” I said, “This is intense.” I was panting and saying “Oh, God.” The sensation was horrifying yet, again, I knew there was no escape. I was hearing encouragements to lean into it but ohhh...my body did not want to lean into it. I was physically backing away. Nirmal hopped into the tub behind me and supported my back. A freight train was roaring through my body – fast and big and OH MY GOD.
Mangala Sadhu Sangeet placed his hands on the baby's head as it began to emerge. “I can feel the little nose!” he told me. I knew that was a beautiful thing and I was glad. I was consumed and overwhelmed with the task at hand – getting the owner of that nose out of me. It happened fast – after about 10 minutes of pushing, at 1:35 am on December 2 – out came a baby! A baby! That's what all this was about!

Pam received and placed our baby on my chest. The baby cried a bit but was mostly calm and quiet. Joy overcame. I was stunned. “Oh my God! That's our baby!” I said again and again, “That's our baby!” I couldn't believe it was over, that I'd really done it, that our baby was in my arms.
It is such a crazy, surreal experience to have a human being come out of you. Even after all the months of pregnancy and then the laboring process, it is shocking when an actual person comes out of your body. I held this new little person and things were calm, still, peaceful. Eventually, we decided to see if the baby was a boy or a girl. Surprisingly, I was in no hurry to know. I felt the baby's body but it was hard to tell if I was feeling a boy or the umbilical cord. When we looked and found a girl, it was a surprise and a delight. She was beautiful and gentle and wonderful.
Selena handed the baby to Mangala Sadhu Sangeet and he held our baby girl as I birthed the placenta. Then we moved to the bedroom for nursing and resting, checking out the baby, and stitching me up (I tore quite a bit at the site of the episiotomy from our first birth.) Cheyanne made prints with the placenta and then Nirmal washed it left it for me in the kitchen (I later prepared it for encapsulation.) Baby girl and Satvinder both slept. I was helped with hair combing and showering. And there we were in our home – so cozy, so mellow, so sweet.
I prayed and prepared for several years for this baby and the experience of birthing at home. It changed my life and I think it will be a while before I know who I am, after this. As I write this, Sukhjot is a little over one month old - we are a little over a month old as a family of four. We are emerging in this new life and it is beautiful and amazing and blessed.
I give thanks to all who have offered their prayers, to the wonderful team who supported me during the process, to all who have assisted us postpartum, and, of course, to beautiful Sukhjot Kaur for coming to the planet.
17 comments:
you are such an inspiration! Tears stream down my face...I am in awe of your strength and grace! Thank you for this!!!
I cannot wait to see you and meet Sukhjot Kaur!
What a powerful story! I was back and forth between tear and laughter while reading. I am so happy you were able to have your homebirth experience. So amazing!!
Thank you so very much for sharing your story Kewal ! It's been over a year since the birth of Avery & Catherine and I still have not found the words to describe their homebirth. Your beautiful description humbles me. :)
what a wonderful, sweet story. (i'm crying, too!) thank you so much!
Thank you for sharing your story, I'm actually surprised you remember it perfectly! The beauty of this experience leaves me speechless. You are so graceful, I wish you and your family many many blessings!!
Sooo beautiful and hilarious! Wahe Guru! I would like to apply for the hair attendant position next time. What a holy experience. Thank you for writing it.
I love your description of birth reminding you of Kali. There is an emanation in Buddhism called Mahakala who has very similar properties (cutting off heads, etc.) and I've found myself very drawn to him since becoming pregnant. Perhaps I've known on some level what is coming! Anyway, thanks so much for sharing your birth experience. It was truly touching and lovely.
It is such a blessing to read your birth experience and see the wonderful pictures. And a great way to start to get to know Sukhjot for those of us living a distance away.
Kewal Ji - Sat Nam and thank you for sharing your beautiful divine birth....I love that every mother, every child, and family have their stories, and this is what makes our herstory/history. All love in Divine to you all as your family grows and glows. In the love of His Name and Lights...SatSundri
Oh, what gorgeousness!! Happiness!!
That was an amazing post with the most wonderful photos! Your first paragraph so perfectly captured the experience of labor and delivery. Would you mind if I quoted you on my blog?
Kewal... your eloquent retelling of the birth of Sukhjot brought visceral memories and sensations of my experience with birthing Xander Everest. Thank you...
Ah Kewal, you were such an amazing woman giving birth to your little girl. I admire you greatly and loved the yoga moves. Thank you for letting me be a part of such a magical experience-
Cheyanne
Thanks for sharing. Birth..... Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh!
Sat Nam Dear Kewal Kaur, I am in awe of your grace and your strength - as always! Such power and fierce strength - Kali indeed! Wahe Guru!!
i am so moved i don't know what to say. thank you for this story and pictures. i am humbled by your honesty and naked retelling of destruction and creation. the spanda of birth, all that hangs in balance, the emergence of the new life (sukhjot kaur and your new family life) all come through in this birth story. I am so blessed to know as strong and beautiful a woman as you.
Stunning, beautiful, intense and emotional! Thanks for sharing - it took me back to my birth with you and Emily attending and supporting me. How you asked me to change positions and my body crying out NO!!! but then doing it and my water breaking with a POP. Then holding my sweet Bodhi in my arms for the first time minutes later. Beautiful and enchanting. So happy for you and your family :) :)
Post a Comment