So last Tuesday it snowed in Austin, which is not something that happens all that often. I was excited and was snapping pictures, as I do when something excites me. I decided to take the baby outside in her bouncy chair and get some pictures of her with the rare Austin snow. It was a simple plan that turned BAD when as I went through the doorway,the chair caught on the door, tipped out of my hands and I dropped my baby hard on the rock patio - face/head first. Oh God, it was a terrible, terrible sight.
She screamed. I screamed. I scooped up my screaming baby and saw her injured head. I thought I'd broken my baby. I ran up the stairs and yelled for Mangala Sadhu Sangeet. He held her while I called 911. I told them what happened and asked if I should take her to the hospital. I really had no idea what kind of injury we might be dealing with - all I knew was that it looked like a big fall for such a tiny baby. They sent EMS - two fabulous men, fathers themselves, who were so kind and gentle with her (and me.) I stood there wringing my hands and praying and giving her Reiki as they checked her out and talked with us. She was ok. She eventually calmed down and fell asleep in the EMS guy's arms.
I think babies must have magical healing powers because she healed so much faster than I expected. Even by the end of the day, it had healed a lot and now, a week later, there is hardly a mark to be seen. That is incredible, considering how bad it looked as her helpless, tiny body hit the ground that day. She was so strong and forgiving - far more forgiving than I was with myself.
Even after I knew she was ok, I still felt so terrible. It was quite depressing. And I'm still trying to get that falling image out of my head. Just thinking of how that must have felt to her makes me want to throw up. Yet, I know that we can't control - life happens. I just thank God she came through it ok.
When I mentioned this on Facebook, I received numerous stories from other parents who had experienced drops or falls with their children. It happens more often than I realized! Even when you try really hard to be a conscious, protective parent...things still happen. I guess it is a reminder to hug them that much tighter and be grateful for the blessings.
1 comment:
Oh I'm so sorry that you went through that. How scary! I think we've all done something as parents (whether related to falling or not) where we look back and think if I had just done xyz differently...it's true we can't control it all, no matter how hard we try. I think motherhood has been the greatest strengthener of my meditation practice. It definitely forces you to be in the moment and let go, whether you want to or not. I'm glad to hear that the little one is healing fast and I hope your forgiveness for yourself comes quickly as well.
Post a Comment