Monday, August 9, 2010

School Considerations

So. School. That's something I've been seeking clarity on for a while now. You may remember we took Satvinder out of school last Spring and started loosely "home schooling." It was really good for her to be home, to be removed from a situation that was causing her a lot of suffering, and to just have some time to be. That decision was confirmed in many ways and I'm grateful we did it.

Since then, things have shifted and it seems like school would be a good option for her. I sought out various schools and the ones we were interested in all had wait lists. So I didn't expect school to be happening right away. I was thinking we'd probably be home schooling, at least for a while. One night last week I was really feeling like we needed some movement or indication and I asked/prayed for something to come.

The next day two schools called us with spots available. Today Satvinder is having a trial day at one of those. It is a way to see if everybody thinks it is a fit. It is a Montessori school, which she is experienced with from her previous 5 years of Montessori schooling. They have gardens and ducks and chickens and rabbits. Satvinder is especially excited by their large library. We'll see how it goes.

I dropped her off this morning and first of all, we were late (not much - but enough to get a frowny face from the admissions lady.) The school is right down town where there are lots of one way streets and it took me three tries to actually get to it. It is a big school - bigger than what we're used to anyway - and it felt a little daunting to leave her there, new and unknown. It was all I could do not to park outside the fence and watch the P.E. class Satvinder was in when I left.

Regardless of school, separation is something Satvinder and I are both struggling with. She is nearing 7 years of age, which is a shift in life, no matter what else is going on. It is a different relationship between child and parent and we are feeling that in so many ways. We both are having to let go of her days as a little kid and allow her to walk her path. That's not always easy.  But life is ever-changing and I guess it is time to make peace with that.

 
This is what Satvinder picked to wear to her trial day. She did leave the pirate patch at home - but I just found it really funny that she put it on.


My mom sent this dress for Sukhjot and wanted to know if it fits - so this is just to show it off.

1 comment:

Milo and Joey Good said...

Milo wants to know if the girls can come to our house and play with his toys... open invite!