Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fascinating Writing Update that I'm Sure You've Been Anxiously Awaiting!

How do people do this? I'm 20,000 words into my first (crappy) draft of my first attempt at teen (young adult) fiction. Well, it's my first attempt since I was a teen myself. I was all about writing teen fiction when I was actually a teen. It was mostly depressing stuff about suicides and unwanted pregnancy and bad acid trips. But now, for some reason, I've decided that this is the thing to do. (I've moved on to some different topics, luckily.) And 20,000 words may not seem like a lot but for me, in the limited spaces I have to write, it is a A LOT.

Every day I write on this story. I write while Sukhjot naps or in five minute chunks when she is occupied with licking a door or something or when I'm half asleep after finally getting the two small people wrestled into bed. Sometimes I write one handed while holding the baby. Like now. She's climbing on me and the one arm is trying to keep her from nose diving onto the floor and Wow, that took forever to type one-handed.

I'm finding that I really love my characters and I look forward to sitting with them, seeing what will happen next for them, watching them grow. They are nice girls. They both have issues (imagine that) and I really care about them. I'm grateful for that.

But my house is a mess. And last week our kitchen got so bare that we were pretty much down to celery and kombucha (I've started making Kombucha!) neither of which the six year old would agree to consume. (Neither would her father, for that matter. Not that I blame them. I mean, who wants to eat celery? Why did I even have celery?)

It seems like a lot of writers go to coffee shops to write. And they write hours and hours every day. Oh, and also they (eventually) write stuff that isn't crap. Our family once cleared an entire coffee shop of laptoppers. One by one they filed out because Sukhjot was shrieking with such intensely loud delight that I guess they couldn't focus. Like now. I think my ear drums are bleeding. But she's happy!

Me - I write whatever I can, whenever I can. I'm not sure when I'll get to the coffee shop or the stuff that isn't crap. Stay tuned!

No comments: