Sunday, August 29, 2010

Wonderful

The biggest argument that Satvinder and I have had to date was about time travel, of all things. I don't know why we both got so worked up but one day she was asking me about how two time realities were overlapping in one of the Harry Potter books and I was trying to explain it, which is a hard thing to do. Trying to understand time travel can make your mind loop around on itself so that you almost forget what your question was in the first place. It wasn't making sense to her and she got increasingly frustrated and argued with me. Eventually we were both trying to yell our points over the other one and then, at the peak of her frustration, she hit me, running off to her room, crying and slamming her door.

We took a breather and both realized that we'd gotten kind of out of control. We talked and laughed about it. And later that day, Mangala Sadhu Sangeet sat down with Satvinder and tried to explain it using some pictures to illustrate. This is the picture he drew. Looking at this picture always makes me smile. Time travel, illustrated!

Yesterday I took this picture of the girls with the table and chairs I recently finished painting. I don't know how well you can see the eyelashes on the owl - but that was Satvinder's one request...that the owl have eyelashes.
Right before we took that picture, we were getting ready for our friend, Maria's, birthday party. Sukhjot was fussing and Satvinder told her, "Sukhi, calm down! We are about to go to a party and you are supposed to smile at parties."

The party was sweet with nice people and coziness and laughter. And then a fabulous monsoon storm swept through. The wind was crazy and the rain poured down. There was even hail. It blew over quickly and left a huge rainbow in the sky.

Rain in Phoenix is such a celebration. It breaks the oppressive heat and everyone breathes a sigh of relief. As we drove home, people of all ages were out enjoying the air. We rolled down the windows and I drove through every huge puddle I could find, splashing Satvinder who was hanging out the window yelling, "This is wonderful!"

And it was.

No comments: