Our evening: Mundane, silly, and, to me, totally awesome.
After the canceled photo shoot, we decided to go out to eat. We were mostly dressed so we might as well. On the drive there, Satvinder said she wanted to be called "Sally." She likes the name Sally now. Mangala Sadhu Sangeet and I took turns teasing her, "What? You want to be called Salad? Smelly?", "Silly? Ok. We'll call you Silly," or "Ohhh. you like the name Salamander!" I laughed until I cried. Then Satvinder cried. But she wasn't crying from laughter. She was just crying from crying. Turns out the joke was not actually funny to her. At all.
When we got to Sweet Tomatoes (Satvinder's choice), I rolled the baby around in one of their handy little baby seat things on wheels and she chewed on her dress. We made our several trips to the buffet. Satvinder ate exactly the required amount of veggies and then proceeded to consume six (6!) pieces of pizza. She would take a bite of hot pizza and then blow her warm breath at the baby, pretending to be a dragon. Sukhjot thought it was hilarious.
As we waited for Satvinder to chew through her many pieces of pizza, the baby started to get a bit fussy. I began to pat my hand over her mouth, breaking up the sound, for amusement. I had forgotten that we used to do that with Satvinder when she was a baby. (I am continually amazed at how much I had forgotten and remember now as I am doing the baby life again.) Sukhjot immediately stopped crying and began to laugh - which made us all laugh. And then she started licking my hand - which made us laugh more. Once again, I found myself in tears from laughing so hard.
Today marks 5 months with Sukhjot (on the outside.) Today was a perfect example of a day in the life of us: plans that don't happen, falls, tears, laughter, goofiness, love, and joy from unexpected, simple things. My house is a disaster. My clothes are all stained with breast milk and spit up. I never feel like I have it "together" (or if I do then I am quickly shown otherwise.) But holy crap - sometimes I am just in so much ecstasy that I think I will explode. Life is beautiful. And hard. And so completely precious.
SO COMPLETELY PRECIOUS.
1 comment:
I love you so much! Sat Nam!
Post a Comment