It seems like we are leaving India on a good note (so far, anyway!) We had a nice day of sight seeing - hired a driver to take us around to see some stuff. We visited the Red Fort, a Jain temple, a Muslim mosque, some tombs...I am not actually sure what everything was that we saw. But it was fun and the architecture was interesting.
Our driver was a nice fellow - didn't speak much English (enough for us to communicate general ideas) but I did notice he had mastered the use of a few English swear words and used them in his traffic frustrations. Funny that so often those are the first communications we learn in a language. Even I, knowing only a few Punjabi phrases, know the swear words. That happens naturally when you are married to someone who spent his boyhood in India, I suppose!
After riding around Amritsar on the motorcycle with Hardeep Singh (who is a speedy, kind of crazy, but very skilled driver) our drive today seemed really slow. Our pace in general today felt pretty leisurely.
Last night as I was falling asleep, my mind was tossing over all these things I have been processing regarding the different ways people live on the planet. I watch myself have reactions and attempts to define (good, bad, fortunate, not fortunate, etc.) and then observe what it is like to step back and try to see differently. I come to things initially with my perspective, my history, my life. And my assessment of things is based on that reality. So I keep trying to release that and take it all in more neutrally. It sends my minds in loops sometimes.
Once I fell asleep, I found that all night a part from Japji Sahib kept coming to me. Every time I woke up, it was there. It was specific - from a cd by Sat Purkh Kaur. The part is Aisa Naam Niranjan Hoye Je Ko Mann Jane Mann Koye. Her translation (as I remember it), which was also playing in my head: Such is the Naam that makes you pure. When you agree to agree, the mind becomes sure. I even tried changing the track in my head - because there is another track on that cd that I like better (haha) but hour after hour, that same part played. When I woke up, I realized it was a perfect answer for all the questions I was grappling with. It is about surrender, relaxing the mind into trust of God's flow, the flow of the Universe (or however you want to call it.)
I also dreamed all night about reuniting with Satvinder, hugging her, seeing her. I am thankful that moment is coming relatively soon. It is a long journey home but each hour takes us closer to our girl.
As for India...Sometimes I can't wait to leave. But always, I can't wait to come back. Love to all. Sat Naam.
3 comments:
(voice of Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man):
Yeah
That very same line in Japji has bubbled to the surface of my consciousness for the past week or so. I like you're translation. I think it's appropriate for a woman who is about to give birth for the first time.
Yes, Krishna - Perfect for birth! I was thinking that too!
Post a Comment