Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pure Desi Ghee

A few months ago I finally made some paranthas that were really good. At least, I thought they were really good. Now we go to Bharawan Da Dhaba and eat paranthas that are quite possibly the best thing I have ever tasted. And it costs us around $2 (US). Our friend, Hardeep Singh, tells us that it is all about the pure Desi ghee (clarified butter). It is in everything and it makes the meal.

It is pretty obvious that I am not from around here so I have decided to embrace my foreign-ness. I'm getting over being shy to take pictures. And I can't pretend to not be excited about things. Before Mangala Sadhu Sangeet and I got engaged, I met our friends Kirpal and Narsingh for the first time. It seemed kind of like an interview to me - more than a meeting (haha). Kirpal asked me if I had ever been to India and I answered that I had - for just two weeks. His response was that such a short visit didn't count! I am getting that more now. Here we are for two weeks and it is such a short time to soak it in. Even though I have been before, it has taken me this long to adjust enough to being able to allow myself to feel it all more.

I find myself observing more the specifics about how things are done. Riding on a motorcycle became of particular interest ever since the other night when we took a ride with Hardeep Singh, who was driving. Mangala Sadhu Sangeet was in the middle and I was on the back - sitting sideways because women do not straddle when a man is in front of them. Granted there were three of us (all grown size), I did not find myself perching effortlessly like the women here seem to do. I had to clutch pretty tightly to Mangala Sadhu Sangeet and the handle behind me - I considered it a victory that I did not fall off as we swerved through the narrow alleys. Seriously, some alleys are so narrow that if I extended my arms out, I could almost touch the sides. Plus there are other people and shops in there. A simple thing - but it was super fun to me.

Mangala Sadhu Sangeet Singh trying out Hardeep's motorcycle and our friend, Hardeep Singh, on the right. Hardeep Singh sells kirpans - so we stopped by this blade sharpening shop to sharpen some blades.

1 comment:

Teaching Handwork said...

I am enjoying reading about your journey.
Look forward to seeing you when you come home. Keep soaking it in.