Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Where is Everybody?

When I was in India, sometimes it felt so overwhelming and intense to always be surrounded by other people. In the places we went, areas were quite congested - little streets packed with people and vehicles, all crushed together. And certainly, at the Golden Temple during Baisakhi week, there was no such thing as personal space.

Strangely enough, that is one of the things that I keep missing. Walking down our street to the ashram where I work - it just feels so empty. It is a "small" neighborhood street - not a whole lot of traffic - but compared to the streets we experienced in India, it is actually quite spacious. And I'm the only one there. Just me...and all that space.

I expected it to be hard to adjust to being in India. But I am actually finding it harder to adjust to being here after being there. It is clean and pleasant and so much easier here. But there are other things...that are hard to say goodbye to. That, too, is part of the experience, I suppose.

1 comment:

Leita said...

That is how I felt after I returned to Louisiana after living in New York City for a summer. Granted, India and NYC are very different, but I definitely know the feeling of misssing the people everywhere- walking everywhere.
There is something very nice about having active people around all the time.