Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kind of Girlie Over Here

Here's a video of the girls playing: Pinky and Little Jumper. I love that they can play together now. The video is kind of dark so it is hard to see but at one point, Sukhjot kisses Satvinder in her wet, open mouthed baby way. And then Satvinder wipes off the slobber with her shirt. But all the while, they are laughing and that is the best sound I know of.

I finished my first rough draft of my story. It has been a fast and furious creation. There is still a lot to add, adjust,and revise, of course, but I have the basic story down. Now things can really get started, I guess. I have asked three people to read it and give me feedback because I feel like I need some outside perspective at this point.

One person was my husband who, being neither a teenager nor a girl, is not quite the demographic for this book. He read the first two chapters and said, "It's kind of girlie."

He said it was like when he gets off the phone with someone and I start asking him questions. I want to know who he talked to and how they are doing and if they enjoyed their vacation and all kinds of details about what's going on in their life. He never has answers to these questions and he gets that "yearning for escape" look on his face. I can't understand how he can talk to someone without finding out how they feel about life. He can't understand how I can talk to someone without finding out how much RAM they have in their computer.

So we are different species. And he said reading my story was kind of like the post-phone call questioning. Except that it just went on and on with the relationships and the talking about feelings. There were no explosions and no teleportation devices. And would you believe, there was not even a single robot?

Indeed, I've written a very girlie book. That's about all I know right now.

No comments: