Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Companions

I spent last night and the wee hours of the morning with some great human companions, sharing the intensity of the birth of a baby boy. As I was leaving after the birth, the grandmother of the new baby said to me, "You are family now." And it is true...in those hours we share something so intimate and sacred and we become family. We may never see each other again but for that time...on planet Birth...we are family.

The only picture I have to share is of my inadamite companions from the experience. The mala was given to me by the parents. Several of us wore them during the birth. The wood comes from the Bodhi tree, the tree of enlightenment in Buddhism, which shares the name of their baby boy.

The bear is called "Satvinder Bear", a sweet little guy that Satvinder received on Valentines Day from her Dadaji and Nonni. Satvinder sends him with me when we are going to be apart, to remind me of her. He's a little bear but he has a big message.

1 comment:

Lizz said...

I know exactly what you are saying here. I too know this.