Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Short Film, A Seizure

I used to have grand mal seizures.  It is a really crazy, painful, and scary experience - and one that is impossible to explain.  I saw this short film (about 7 minutes) yesterday that was made in an attempt to convey the experience of a seizure and I thought it was really well done.  I watched it twice and cried both times.  I really appreciate their effort at sharing it.

Thankfully, I haven't had a grand mal in 17 years. While I do still have ongoing seizure activity, I don't have the type of seizure shown in the film anymore.  I don't lose consciousness and for the most part, no one would even know it is happening by looking at me. My heart goes out to those who continue to go through these big ones.

Watch the short film, A Seizure.

P.S. I don't remember ever having pretty visuals during seizures, like the film shows.  Missed out on that one.

P.P.S. I did, however, share the experience of being freaked out by the thing stuck in my arm and the strange beings holding me down after a big seizure when I was 17.  I actually pulled an IV out of my arm and fought and tried to run away  - which resulted in me bleeding and being strapped down so I couldn't fight them.  I found it interesting to see that particular aspect addressed in the film. 

No comments: